1. Where are we talking from today?
A. Home, Lancaster, California.
2. What would you like to accomplish in 2019?
A. I would like to finish my album so the world can hear and possibly find a label home.
3. What is your take on politics?
A. I believe if your not a politician it should be table talk.
4. Where did you get your artist name from?
A. My artist name comes from my real name. Larry Johnson = LA Johnson.
5. Growing up, how important has music been in your life? Can you recall the moment when you decided that you wanted to be a musician? Was it an easy or difficult choice to make?
A. Growing up music has always been a part of my upbringing. My mom used to stay up at night and record her blues and r&b on cassette tapes. When I found out how to record I use to get in trouble for recording hip hop over her blues cassettes. I really started taking music seriously when I was a juvenile. I use to compete in talent shows and that’s really where I had my first show. At the time it was an easy choice because it made my time past fast because I was writing a lot.
6. Was there ever a time when you thought about doing something else? If you weren’t a musician today, what could you see yourself doing?
A. No, all my life I wanted to do music. I was at a bad time in my life when I was mad at the music because I wasn’t where I wanted to be or not making money from it and I tried to give it up but I couldn’t. I would hear a tune or a beat and end up humming or writing lyrics. In elementary, the firefighters came to my school and took me onto the fire truck and I loved it. If I wasn’t a musician I could see myself being a firefighter.
7. What has been the biggest surprise so far about making music your career? What has been an unexpected or welcome challenge to it all?
A. No surprises so far. Raising a family and working a 9 to 5 while trying to complete this album.
8. What was it like putting together your EP?
A. Putting together this album has been exciting and a proud moment. I am trying to wrap it up but I am steady adding songs.
9. Who are some of your favorite artists or rather, what musicians have continued to inspire you and your music? Who would you absolutely still love to work within the future?
A. Some of my favorite artists dead or alive is Tupac, Eminem, UGK, Tech Nine, Hopsin, OutKast, Eightball and MJG, Crucial Konflict, Twista and many many more. I still would love to work with all the ones above including T.I, Ludacris, Nelly, OT Genesis, Jeezy, Nas, and Jay Cole.
10. What has it been like keeping up with your social media accounts and all of the different platforms? Is it hard to stay up to date on it all? What would you say is your favorite way to connect with your fans now?
A. It has been overwhelming trying to keep up with all the different social media accounts but I do what I can. My favorite way to connect with my fans is going live on IG or Facebook. Also posting snippets of my shows on YouTube. If any of my fans leave a comment I will respond. Without the fans, there is no artist.
11. If you were going to be stranded on a deserted island, what musical item would you take with you and why?
A. Lol. This is a good one. I usually carry my USB drive with a lot of my music on it but I also have it on my phone so I would just take my phone and my charger.
12. If your music was going to be featured on any TV show that is currently on right now, which would you love it to be on? Or if you prefer, what is a movie that you love that you wish your music was featured in?
A. I could hear my music on Power or the show on HBO called Ballers. I would’ve loved to hear my music in 8 Mile, Get Rich or Die Trying or some of the Fast & The Furious movies.
13. At the end of the day, what do you hope people take away from your music?
A. I want people to hear my story. I want them to hear the passion, pain and the love I put into my lyrics. I want them to close their eyes and visualize what they hear whether it be a club song or a struggle song.
14. When you are not making music what else do you enjoy to do?
A. When I’m not making music I love to listen to music. Watch music documentaries or just relax having a good time. I also love to cook. I can throw down in the kitchen and on the grill.
15. Where you @ online